More than 7,500 civilians died in four years of conflict in Yemen

Date: 
September, 2019
Country: 
Yemen

More than 7,500 civilians, including almost 2,000 children, died in Yemen between March 26, 2015 and September 5, 2019, said United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet.

"By September 5, 2019, our employees in Yemen confirmed the death of 7,508 civilians, including 1,997 minors," Bachelet said when speaking at the 42nd session of the UN Human Rights Council, and warned that the number of Dead civilians continues to grow.

Bachelet noted that most of the deaths were caused by air attacks by the Arab coalition.

"Last week, the international coalition led by Saudi Arabia launched air strikes against a school in the city of Dhamar, which resulted in at least 109 dead and 50 wounded," he said.

However, the representatives of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (Acnudh) said that the attacks of the rebels, the Houthi-related committees and various armed groups also killed civilians.

Bachelet denounced that both sides of the armed conflict in Yemen restricted the supply of humanitarian aid, attacked journalists and security agents and made illegal arrests.

"Many of these violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law can be considered war crimes," he concluded.

Yemen lives since 2014 an armed conflict between the supporters of the president, Abdo Rabu Mansur Hadi, and the Shiite rebels of the Ansar Allah (Houthi) movement.

The armed conflict in Yemen resulted in a humanitarian crisis that, according to the UN, is one of the most serious in the world: some 24.1 million people, that is to say 80 percent of the country's total population, require some kind of humanitarian aid.

Source: MBS News